My mum came to visit and I've fallen off the health wagon a bit. No exercise for a 3 days, quite a lot of eating and a concomitant weight gain, back into the 13 stone mark. Back on it today though. I've adjusted my running plan to reflect the missing days and put the end date a week later. I'll do a couple of slow, extra runs in the meantime. Ooof.
Have I learnt anything? Well....
- It's not just my mum visiting, I could feel I was kind of nearing burnout
- The exercise load has been pretty heavy with running, cycling and strength training
- But I feel pretty refreshed right now
- That there's a pattern to the amount of energy I have and the effort I can apply
- And the trick is to not lose heart but get back into it and improve over time
- Bring the frequency pauses in plan
- Decrease the pause duration
- And that may be happening already, I've had a pretty good run of hard(ish) core exercise and diet
- With 4 days off
- And full of vigour to get back into it today :)
At these kind of junctures in the past I've stopped paying attention to my diet and exercise. So this week is kind of a big deal, I need to show I can stop for a few days but get back on the horse in full force and effect for at least a couple of weeks. So some actions for today:
- Go to the gym (Workout A)
Run tomorrow. Long slow with zero expectations of pace or achievement