fig(i) The Lights!
Bullet pointing to give the impression I'm a busy boy rather than just too lazy to write it all out proper like. Here we go! This game has my attention I just don't know if I like it or not.
First of all:
- The lights! Gorgeously pretty 60hz assault on the senses
- Music, the GW theme and a bunch of new tunes beautifully recorded
- Same old GW responsive control, allowing you to do the odd impossible thing. Always a rush
- Multi platform! One of the rare few who prefers a PS pad over Microsoft's offerings
- Topological challenge! Despite initial fears transferring from planes to 3D shapes -mostly- works
fig(ii) Impossible feats @ 0:31
- Adventure mode
- Lots of activities but that just doesn't seem in the spirit of 10p a go arcade fun
- Get the feeling the team realized no one played the many modes of GW
- So thought they'd force them on the player
- "Just ignore that stuff Gaz! Play the classic mode the game comes with!"
- Well yeah, no one is on those leader boards. And it's all about the leader boards yeah?
- Game Design Gaffa Tape
- Boss battles in particular, feels like bodge on top of bodge
- Outrun style timers and boss invulnerability don't feel good
- Horrible you can kill the boss but not win the level
- Or get a star without killing the boss
- Bizarre have previous on this
- Always found it weird you could win a race in Gotham but get flip all kudos
- Red discs also a good example of badly tacked on player hurrying
- Gold Coin Pick Ups that kill you? Super State pickups are look just like Mario coins except it's instant death if you hungry dog them
- Takes a while to get used to badly sign posted enemies warping in
And the Ugly
- Angry Bird star awards at the end of each level.
- Star locked later levels - go back and grind for more stars son
- Nasty difficulty spike on final level boss
- Topological challenge! Mostly works but when it doesn't? Steps on zone outs horribly. Basically cubes can fuck off
- The price - it just seems a bit much
- There's a whole load of interesting stuff going on here
- The credit list is massive, absolutely huge
- And the game is beautifully finished as well
- I really wonder how much it cost to make this game
- And if it'll ever make that money back
- The leader boards are pretty bar
- And they cleverly launched the same week as GTA V
- I really hope there'll be more and more from this franchise
- But I can't understand how the whole thing adds up
- Particularly for a extremely commercially aggressive company like Activision
It's fair to say I've enjoyed Geometry Wars 3 far more than the above would suggest; it's a just a lot harder to vocalise the fun rather than annoyances. I've absolutely played the bollocks off of this thing and using time spent as a measure there's obviously something there for me. That said I've eat a shit tonne of Pot Noodle and watched industrial quantities of Jeremy Kyle in the past well. So I dunno.
It's kind of like your awesome, beautiful girlfriend got a really shit hair cut. She's still awesome and beautiful but in certain lights she's got you wincing.
Score: 1 out 1
(1? BUY IT! 0, don't)